Child support and maintenance payments are usually ordered by a court in the final marital agreement. Under New York law, every child has a basic right to receive support, and every parent has an obligation to pay support.
- In New York both parents have the responsibility to support their children until the age of 21. A child may be emancipated before the age of 21 but only under certain circumstances.
- A temporary child support order is requested when parents separate to divorce.
- A final child support order is entered by the court in the final marital agreement. Thereafter, child support is enforceable as a post divorce legal action.
- The amount of support in which a parent is required to pay is determined by multiply factors. The most prominent factors being the number of children and the income of the parents.
- Regardless of your situation, Fero & Ingersoll is usually able to quickly find the way to help you and your family overcome the many obstacles, with the least amount of turmoil.